A building is ready for an air tightness test when:
- 240v mains electric socket is available.
- The integrity of the building structure is complete.
- All external doors, windows and window trickle vents are installed.
- All service penetrations, loft hatches and boiler flue are sealed.
- Extract fans are fitted.
- All chimney flues can be sealed.
- Plumbing is complete and water is in traps.
- Electrical fittings, switches and sockets are installed.
- An external door is available for test equipment.
- All mechanical ventilation can be switched off and temporarily sealed.
No-one can enter or exit the building during the test so it is best if the building is unoccupied.
Wind speed of greater than 12-13mph can invalidate a test. If weather is unfavourable, a new test date will be arranged.